MLB Power Rankings – July 16, 2013
The Cardinals are on top this week, holding a slim edge over Pittsburgh and Boston. Meanwhile, the Dodgers have made progress, jumping four positions to No. 14. Here are this week’s rankings:
1. CARDINALS: LF Matt Holliday sat out after experiencing tightness in his right hamstring.
2. PIRATES: Their best record at All-Star break since 1975.
3. RED SOX: Rank 1st in majors in runs scored and on-base percentage.
4. ATHLETICS: A.J. Griffin has won 3 straight.
5. RANGERS: Ian Kinsler set franchise record with his 162nd career steal, breaking tie with Bump Wills.
6. BRAVES: Due to injuries to OF’s Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton and Justin Upton, replacements Jose Constanza, Reed Johnson and Joey Terdoslavich went 7-for-11 in win over the Reds.
7. RAYS: Rotation is coming through – making 14 consecutive quality starts.
8. REDS: Homer Bailey has lost 2 straight starts since throwing a no-hitter on July 2.
9. TIGERS: Still can’t pull away from the Indians in AL Central.
10. ORIOLES: Only 5 sellouts at home at Camden Yards this season.
11. YANKEES: Phil Hughes (4-9) has allowed 18 home runs in 18 starts.
12. DIAMONDBACKS: Had 50 wins before All-Star break for 5th time in team history, 1st since 2003.
13. INDIANS: Lonnie Chisenhall, team’s 2008 top draft pick, hit 1st career grand slam to beat the Royals.
14. DODGERS: Zack Greinke 2-hit Rockies in 1-0 win on Sat., the club’s 14th victory in 17 games.
15. NATIONALS: After climbing to 4 games over .500, they lost 5 of next 6.
16. PHILLIES: CF Ben Revere, batting .305, broke his right foot on a foul ball.
17. BLUE JAYS: Still struggling to get to .500.
18. ANGELS: They are 4th in big leagues in hitting, on-base and slugging percentage.
19. ROYALS: Rank 29th in slugging percentage.
20. ROCKIES: Rank 5th in slugging percentage.
21. GIANTS: Tim Lincecum’s gem might be a good sign for team in 2nd half.
22. CUBS: Matt Garza has won 5 straight starts, and other teams’ scouts are watching.
23. MARINERS: Pounded in last start against Angels, Felix Hernandez threw 8 shutout innings in win over L.A. on Saturday.
24. METS: Rank 29th in batting in the major leagues.
25. PADRES: Loss on Sat. was 18th in 21 contests, dropping them to season-high 12 games under .500.
26. TWINS: Ended 4-game losing streak with win at Yankee Stadium.
27. WHITE SOX: Getting hitting production again from 2B Gordon Beckham.
28. BREWERS: Rank 23rd in majors in runs scored.
29. MARLINS: They were 14-41 through May, then went 21-16 since.
30. ASTROS: Trying Carlos Pena at leadoff.
Copyright © 2013 Bob Hurst. All Rights Reserved. Distributed by Hurst Sports Media.