Tombstone dedication ceremony
On July 13 at 10:00 a.m. at the JCHS Schweinfurth Museum a dedication ceremony hosted by the Jefferson County Historical Society will be held for the replacement of the tombstone for Stinson Anderson, early Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.
Anderson was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1838 and served one term. He was buried in Old Union Cemetery, but his grave stone was “lost” for several years, being covered by an overgrown tree. The Jefferson County Historical Society wanted to restore the stone and give it the prominence Anderson deserved, but the stone was too damaged to reset. Therefore, the original, with the approval of the Old Unions Cemetery Board, has been moved to the historical society’s museum, and a new stone recognizing Anderson’s service has been installed in the grave plot. Also, a new fence has been placed around the Anderson family plot.
On Saturday, July 13, a descendant of Stinson Anderson, Robert Anderson and his wife of Texas, are coming to participate in the ceremony. Local and state officials have also been invited. A guided tour to the grave site will be offered. Also, a self-guided tour has been prepared to other Anderson sites in Mount Vernon and Opdyke.
“The JCHS History Committee has been dedicated to honoring Stinson Anderson and his family by replacing his decaying former grave marker,” said Dana Uhls, Community Relations Specialist.
“The time has arrived to share the new tombstone with our community. Stinson Anderson is a key figure in the history of Illinois, Jefferson County and Mount Vernon. We are privileged to honor his memory and contributions to our state and community.”
The Museum is located at the Jefferson County Historical Village, 1411 N. 27th, Mt. Vernon, IL.