Property Tax 101: Selling or moving a mobile home?
By Bob Watt, Jefferson County Treasurer
Question: What do I need from the Treasurer’s Office if I’m selling or moving a mobile home?
Answer: Anytime a mobile home is changing ownership, the title will need to be changed with the Secretary of State’s office. In order to do this, the buyer will need a clearance from our office stating all taxes are paid up to date. Whether you are the buyer or seller it is a good idea for you both to make sure this gets done to prevent any taxing issues in the future. In order to get this clearance, you will need to bring to our office the following:
• Copy of the mobile home title (or bring the original and we can copy it for you)
• Name and address of the buyer
• A previous year’s tax bill if you have it to make it easier to locate in our tax system
• And any taxes that are due or past due will need to be collected
Also, anytime you are thinking about purchasing a mobile home, please come to the treasurer’s office first to check and make sure there are no outstanding tax liens. Too many times we’ve seen a buyer purchase a mobile home, and then come to get the clearance so they can change the title, and taxes haven’t been paid for years.
Another form we provide in our office is a Mobile Home Moving Permit. Anytime you are moving a mobile home you are required to obtain a moving permit from our office. It will state the location you are moving the mobile home from and the location it will be moved to. It will also state that all taxes are paid up to date. For this form, you will need the following:
• Copy of mobile home title (or bring the original and we can copy it for you)
• Addresses you are moving it from and to
• And any taxes that are due or past due will need collected at this time
“If you have any questions, or would like more information, please contact our office at 618-244-8010. We are here to help in any way we can.”
Next week: I think I am paying too much property tax. Is there anything I can do?