Mt. Vernon’s Old Union Cemetery
There is a lot of history in Mt. Vernon’s Old Union Cemetery. Established in 1820, it is the final resting place of many of Jefferson County’s pioneers and early historical figures. Prime among these are the graves of two Lieutenant Governors of Illinois – Zadok Casey who was elected in 1830 and Stinson Anderson who took office in 1838. But while Zadok Casey’s grave plot is dominant in the cemetery with a large tombstone and a wrought iron fence, Stinson Anderson’s grave site is hardly noticeable. In fact, his grave marker for many years was lost to sight as it had fallen down and was hidden by brush.
The Jefferson County Historical Society is working to restore Stinson Anderson’s grave site and bring his historical importance to the notice of the people of Jefferson County and Mt. Vernon.
Members of the historical society located his grave stone, but found that it had broken in such a way as to be impossible to be fixed and reset. Therefore, the society is purchasing and installing a replacement stone. The original 1857 marker will be displayed inside the Schweinfurth Museum and Interpretive Center adjacent to Old Union Cemetery on North 27th Street. In addition, the stone of Anderson’s wife was also broken and is being repaired. A modern steel fence similar in appearance to the wrought iron one enclosing the Casey family plot will be placed around the Anderson plot to give it more presence and importance.
A dedication ceremony is planned for a later date.
Due to the considerable cost of this project, the Jefferson County Historical Society invites you to help by contributing funds to the effort. Checks should be sent to: Jefferson County Historical Society, 1411 N. 27th Street, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864 and marked “Anderson project.”
For more information, contact Joe Ashbrook at 618-244-2027.