Illinois Free Fishing Days Set for June 5-8
Family Events, Fishing Regulations, Fishing Tournament Changes Q&A and More Information Available Online
Summer is a great time to take the family fishing. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) is announcing resources, clinics and other events designed to make fishing more enjoyable. When you go fishing this summer – whether you are an experienced angler or first-timer – be sure to take someone with you. Introduce another person to the sport of fishing this year.
Free Fishing Days for 2015: The 2015 Illinois Free Fishing Days promotion will be held June 5-8. During this time, no fishing license is required. It is a great opportunity for families to try fishing, without needing to purchase a license immediately.
Two Rivers Family Fishing Fair: The 24th annual Two Rivers Family Fishing Fair will be held at Pere Marquette State Park near Grafton, IL on Sat., June 6 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The free event features fun for children and families. For details, call 618-786-3323 or check the website at http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/R4/PRM/PMTwo_Rivers_Fish_Fair.htm
Fishing Licenses: Fishing license revenue helps fund three state fish hatcheries, IDNR fisheries staff and related conservation and education efforts. For more information about fishing licenses and to buy a license online, follow this link: http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/LPR/Pages/default.aspx
Ifishillinois.org: For complete information about fishing in Illinois, including fishing reports, science and research, tips and techniques, places to fish and more, visit: www.ifishillinois.org.
- Fishing Reports: Fishing reports for lakes, rivers and streams are updated weekly. Users can search by body of water here: http://www.ifishillinois.org/fishing_reports/fishing_report_selector.php. A digest that includes all locations can be found here: http://www.ifishillinois.org/fishing_reports/digest.php
- Fishing Tournament Rule Changes: Rule changes adopted late this spring have generated questions from those who organize fishing tournaments throughout Illinois. The answers to commonly asked questions can be found here: http://www.ifishillinois.org/tournament/Fishing_tournament_news_release.pdf
- Fishing Rules and Regulations: The 2015 Illinois Fishing Information Guide is available as a PDF at this link: http://www.ifishillinois.org/regulations/2015_Fishing_Guide.pdf
- Loaner Tackle: If you need fishing equipment, loaner gear is available at dozens of sites statewide: http://www.ifishillinois.org/programs/loaner.html
- Learn to Fish: For information on special fishing events and youth fishing events please check the ifishillinois.org website under our Community Outreach and Resource Enhancement Program (formerly Urban Fishing): http://www.ifishillinois.org/programs/Urban_Fishing.html
This video highlights fishing’s economic impact and details on how fishing license dollars are spent:
Even more resources are available at: http://takemefishing.org/. Want to show off your first catch? Make sure you add the Hashtag: #FirstCatch when you post them to Social Media.