Bicentennial celebration plans underway
The Jefferson County Historical Society is ready to celebrate the bicentennial of Jefferson County and the City of Mt. Vernon.
A logo to commemorate the event has been designed by Marisa Uhls of Mt. Vernon. T-shirts with the bicentennial logo are available at the Jefferson County Historical Society office and at the Convention and Visitors Bureau for $10; $12 for 2XL and 3XL sizes.
Scheduled events to celebrate include:
• A photo contest is underway featuring photo submissions from Jefferson County. Information about the contest is available at historicjeffersoncountyil.com. The photos will be part of an exhibit beginning in the spring.
• The Historical Society will provide features about the history of Jefferson County and the City of Mt. Vernon for publication.
• A Bicentennial Speakers Series has been planned. The programs will cover topics such as the tornadoes of 1888 and 1957 as well as the cyclone evenings at the turn of the century; the history of Veterans Park; the history of Rend Lake; and the history of churches and schools in Jefferson County. JCHS’ own Sid Milliner will be portraying Dr. Willis Duff Green as part of the speakers’ series.
• The JCHS will host a tour of the Fifth Appellate Courthouse from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on March 30. The courthouse will be open to the public.
• The Schweinfurth Museum located at the Jefferson County Historical Village will feature an exhibit about each of the 16 townships in Jefferson County.