A Message from the City of Centralia
The City of Centralia has been monitoring the COVID-19 issue closely over the past few weeks and has maintained close communications with our federal and state health officials, the County Health Departments, public schools, and the Illinois Governor’s office to maintain the most current and accurate information possible so that we can respond appropriately to this rapidly evolving situation. The health and well-being of our residents, businesses, and visitors to our community is our top priority.
To date, there have been over 1,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Illinois. As your local government we must do everything possible to mitigate the spread of the virus by following all of the Governor’s executive orders.
We encourage residents to follow the CDC recommendations (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html) implementing community mitigation strategies to slow the spread of the virus, primarily for the purpose of protecting people that are at higher risk for severe illness and to protect the healthcare and critical infrastructure workforces. As such, the City of Centralia is implementing the following protocols effective immediately:
- The City Hall, Public Works Office, and Animal Shelter will be closed to the public through 3/31/2020. City staff will continue to report to work and will be available by phone or email to assist the public. For those residents that need to pay a bill, you can do so at https://cityofcentralia.org/, via regular mail, or your payment can be placed in the dropbox on the west side of City Hall (101 S. Locust) or the collection box located across from the Emergency Operation Center(old City Hall at 222 S. Poplar St.) The Clerk’s Office will continue to assist customers with billing questions at 618-533-7625. The City of Centralia will not be conducting shut offs and will make payment arrangements for those customers that have difficulty making payments via these temporary arrangements.
- All City of Centralia committee and commission meetings will be cancelled until March 31st.
- The Centralia City Council meeting scheduled for 3/23/2020 will be cancelled.
- All public safety personnel will operate normal shifts and will provide normal 24-hour coverage.
- Public Works departments will continue to operate as normal; trash collection and leaf vacuuming will collect on the normal route days.
- Due to Governor Pritzker’s closure of bars and restaurants to the public until March 30th, the only establishments that will be able to sell alcohol during the closures are those with a package liquor license in Centralia. There shall be no consumption at any establishment on site and only package liquor from the establishments that are properly licensed can be sold. In addition, all video gaming will be suspended at all licensed video gaming establishments by the Illinois Gaming Board. Any violations pertaining to any of the closures will be enforced and referred to the applicable state and county agencies.
Implementing these temporary measures will mitigate the risk of COVID-19 spreading in the community, while also protecting City employees who must be available to ensure that City operations continue to run smoothly. The City of Centralia encourages other agencies and businesses to implement measures to assist in reducing the spread of the virus as recommended by the CDC and Illinois Governor. For the benefit of anyone in higher risk groups, please join us in doing everything you can to minimize the spread of this virus.
The City of Centralia will continually re-evaluate conditions to keep the community informed of this public health issue by communicating with the local media.